Life Lessons from the Mountains

Mountains have always been the ultimate teacher. I have learned some life-transforming lessons of greatness, patience, hard-work, generosity, kindness, acceptance, self-reliance, and many more from the mountains. It takes a lot of courage and determination to climb the lofty peaks and trek in the wilderness. There have been many moments where I have put myself into torture like situation while climbing. But no matter what situation I am in, I have always felt a sense of achievement and satisfaction in the mountains. Each journey has taught me something new about myself while keeping me humble every time. I strongly believe that the time spent in the mountains have helped me so much to become a better person. Undoubtedly, mountains are the best teacher for everything we wish to learn. In this blog I have tried listing out some of the important life lessons that I have learned from the mountains.



1. Appreciate every small thing in life.


Coming back to the comfort (pun intended) of your tent after an arduous climb is probably the best feeling in the world. When the outside temperature drops down and heavy winds blow like it will destroy everything that comes in its way, you realise the importance of shelter, your tent. And as you start appreciating the smallest things like a cup of hot tea, some biscuits and warmth of your sleeping bag and tent, you'll find comfort and happiness in that discomfort. 

I remember all the nights that I have spent inside the tent under the starry sky. The best things in life do not always come with a cost. Isn't it? 

2. Enjoy the journey.


In all of my trips to the mountains, I have taken time to enjoy the landscape, the region, the people, their culture and food. I have made some really good friends along the way, learned something or other from the locals, co-travelers and always tried to enjoy each and every day to the fullest. These experiences have certainly helped me to grow as an individual and made me the person that I am today. Reaching the final destination definitely gives joy and a sense of achievement but when I look back it's the journey that has always been more rewarding.

We are so obsessed about the end result that we often overlook some really precious moments on the journey or the process. Don't just focus on your destination, savor the positive experiences on your life journey. 

3. Set realistic goals.


Climbing / Trekking is a slow process and requires a great amount of efforts in planning. One can't just go without preparation and expect to reach to the summit. There are many things that one has to consider. Weather conditions, management of logistics, equipment, ration and ability of the trekkers plays a huge role in deciding the success of any expedition. Hence, it becomes very important to have a plan and set realistic goals.

When I go for any trek, I often just think about getting to the next campsite and I focus on that as a short-term goal. Then, when I reach that point, I find another landmark and set that as my next target. Day-by-day, I make my way up the mountain, and eventually I stand on the summit.

In order to accomplish great things in life, you need a plan. With the help of others, create that game plan. You could make adjustments along the way, but it is important to stick to the plan till the end. Sometimes it is best to focus just on the short-term goals so that you are not overwhelmed with the enormity of the task. 

4. Go your own pace.


As a trek leader, one of the first and most important things that I always tell to my clients is to walk at your own pace. Trekking / Climbing in the mountains is not a race. I have learned this important lesson from my mentors that “Best pace in the mountains is your own pace”. We always have that competitive attitude to reach first. I have seen people who push themselves so hard to be ahead of everyone on the trail and eventually either they get tired, fell sick or face an injury. I have seen people get worried when they are walking slowly thinking that they are holding up others. And because of that they try hard to catch up with others even if they are struggling.

Same way we compare our life with others. We are always in hurry to accomplish things at a certain timeline. It's okay if you don't graduate, start working, get married or have kids at a certain age. It's your life and you have all the freedom to decide what is the right time for things in your life. Don't take pressure if you can't match up the fast-paced life and the so called "deadlines" created by the society.

Embrace your pace, and don’t compare yourself to others. You will enjoy the hike and your life so much more if you embrace who you are and where you are. There’s no need to go faster than you’re comfortable going. There’s no need to belittle your accomplishments and measure them up against others. 

5. Cultivate a positive mental attitude.


Mental preparation is far more important than physical preparation in Mountaineering. The trek/climb gets really tough at times but a positive mental attitude gets me past those tough times when my body is tired and I feel like giving up. Over these years I have learned to embrace the difficulties in life with a smile on my face and a hope in my heart. It’s indeed a tough task to stay motivated and stay positive but trust me that is the best way to tackle problems in our life.

Isn't it the same way with all of the big goals we set for ourselves in life? Nothing is impossible if you mentally commit yourself to success and believe that you will succeed. 

6. You don’t need a lot of things in life.


Over the years, I have experienced a huge change in my lifestyle. Although, I was never too fancy about the materialistic things like branded clothes, latest gadgets, vehicles or any such things, spending a lot of time in the mountains have taught me to adapt a minimal lifestyle. Away from the internet, laptop, television for months — you realize that you don’t really need any of those things to exist. As long as you have air, food, water and shelter, you are going to be okay.

During the mountaineering courses, we had to carry our own rucksack. During those month-long training, I realized how important it is to travel light and carry only the things that are really required. If you were only allowed the basic necessities, you will find out that you can fit everything that you need in the backpack.

I try to implement the same with my day to day life and avoid buying unnecessary material things.

7. Home is where the heart is.


I can feel right at home in a campsite, on the trails or in the forest. For me, mountains are my home, the place where I find my solace and a sense of belonging.

I left my hometown after I finished my 12th grade exam. Ever since I am continuously on the move. I have lived in different cities for study, internship and work. I have spent months without meeting my family or friends. Of course, I miss my parents and my sister, family members and friends but I have never felt homesick. During all my trips in the mountains, I have sensed a comforting and warm feeling. I have been blessed to meet some kind souls who are no less than a family to me.

I'm sure many people will relate to this. For many of us who love to travel, home isn’t a physical place.

8. You can’t take control of everything.


Spending time in the mountains have taught me a very important lesson: "Let go" of the things which are not in your control.

In the wilderness, you often realize that you have no control over certain things. Even though you try to prepare yourself for the worst, it is always difficult to forecast what awaits in an hour or two. Climbing / Trekking in the mountains always have this uncertainty. Many times, things can quickly turn from bad to ugly. Heavy rains and winds, snowfall and avalanches could make you feel helpless at times. In those moments of adversity, you feel the sheer power of nature and its elements.

Whether in life or in the mountains, it is most important that whenever the situation gets out of your control and you are unable to figure out a way then it is better to let go of that thing and turn back. Everyone loves to plan every single details of their life and get extremely disappointed when one or two of these things do not go their way. However, just like elements of nature, life is hard to control. Sometimes, it's better to accept the reality and move on.

9. Nothing worthwhile is easy and good things come with patience.


As much as I love the wilderness, there’s no doubt that hiking over mountains while carrying everything needed for survival is f-ing hard. Though I enjoy trekking and the struggle that comes with it, there have been moments where I felt like throwing up the heavy backpack on the side of trail. During the Advance Mountaineering Course last summer, I had those moments of mental and physical breakdown when everything felt like torture. But yet every time I kept going, faced my fears with a rock-solid positive mindset because in the end, it was all worth it.

10. Patience is the key to success.


In the mountains there’s no such thing as instant gratification. If you want a pretty sunset or a mountain top view, you have to work hard for it. You have to keep walking until you reach the top, patiently wait for hours for a clear weather, a right moment to capture that sunset or night sky. In the mountains, you can take as many cool photos as you want, but without cell service there’s no gratification of instant likes.

This is applicable to our regular life as well. Good things take time. Always trust the process and be patient.

Could you relate with the lessons I have shared here in the blog? What are the important life lessons that you have learned from the mountains? Share with me in the comments.

For more pictures and travel stories; Follow me on Instagram: @umangdavevisual

Comments

Featured Blogs